Sunday, December 26, 2010

November 16th, 2010 - WDW Day 8

Can we pretend this day was my birthday, instead?  Ok, thanks.  Because that's pretty much what we did.  I woke up to an adorable (and delicious) delivery from Josh & Shelly that had come the night before.  We completely overhauled our plans for the remaining two days, and despite missing a few planned lunches and dinners (one of which we were looking forward to), we were all still in better spirits after a bit of sleep.


Even after missing rope drop (thanks to yet another delay at the Ticket and Transportation Center), we were determined to have a wonderful last full day.  I was admittedly a bit nervous about the Christmas party (between the late night ahead and poor naps, sick kids, and - gasp! - fireworks present), but was just hoping the parade and castle lights, if absolutely nothing else, would be worth the cost of admission for us.

Eventually, we made it into the Magic Kingdom.  The crowds had decreased drastically (then what was up with the TTC delay?), so we walked directly onto Peter Pan's Flight and "it's a small world".  The girls seemed to be doing a bit better, too.  "I looove the cuckoos! [on "iasw"]"  "Was that a fun ride, mama?" "Oh, it's chilly!  Are you chilly, dada?"  "Winnie the Pooh isn't closed anymore, it's open!"  My sweet, fun, talkative girls were back.  Crowds were down.  Weather was still perfect (would we really break our streak?!).  And, most importantly, we were together.  And at the Magic Kingdom.  And we had survived yesterday.  Happy Birthday to me!

We did ride Winnie the Pooh (which the girls adored as we told them they did, despite Hartley's weird anxiety about it prior to our trip).  The new queue area, though not even really open or operating that day (the first day after the refurbishment) is absolutely incredible.  We might not even mind waiting in it next time!

Next, we headed over to Adventureland to meet Ariel!  Emmersyn and Hartley were really excited, so I was too.  I must say, I couldn't help but be (and stay) kind of bummed that her grotto was closed and we'd meet her as a human instead of a mermaid.  When I bought the most beautiful Ariel mermaid costumes I had ever seen, it was in anticipation of a particular picture that will never happen.  I think I need to lower my expectations ;)  Still, it was incredible.  I swear to you, she spent nearly five full minutes with the girls.  They sang songs together (Under the Sea and "The girl who has..... everything" (hehe, also known as Part of Your World)), she talked to them about their trip and swimming and their fins and her friends (the other princesses) and "the crab names Sebastian" and Eric and... I could go on.  If I can brag for a minute, I think she was pretty impressed with them.  I know I sure love them, and that meeting was one we will never forget!



From there we went to Tom Sawyer Island (I think the girls would LOVE running around here), but by the time our raft actually made it over, it was much, much later than we had estimated.  We spent just a couple of minutes there before heading back to the mainland.  At least we got to ride the rafts, which Hartley loved.  The only questionable moment (which in reality turned out to be hilarious) was when the Liberty Belle riverboat came by.  It scared Hartley for a moment, until she realized she could help.  "Watch out, raft!  Stop boat!" - complete with hand motions.  She was successful in preventing the disastrous collision she so clearly anticipated, so all was well. My two-year-old hero. :)

We ate a quick lunch at Columbia Harbour House and headed back to the hotel.  Even though the girls usually don't nap well in the room, we were going to take a gamble this time - because we REALLY needed their best nap ever while on vacation.  Since we had most of the afternoon to spare, we thought we'd just blacken the room and let them take as long as they needed to get to sleep... then pray it lasted!

Emmersyn ended up napping just an hour or so, but she has always done much better than Hartley on naps in the 30-60 minute range (their norm for quite a while).  Zach took her to the pool while I sat back with Hartley, who ended up sleeping over 2.5 hours.  That might be her best nap ever (I'm pretty sure of it) let alone just while on vacation!  If only we had 5 or 6 hours to kill every day of vacation to facilitate hotel room naps and girls who fight them. ;)  I had just started to text Zach that we wouldn't be joining them since she slept so long (and apparently hates water this trip anyway), when he told me the Children's play area was now open.  You see, this was the biggest reason we wanted to return to Animal Kingdom Lodge now that Kidani Village is open - the giant splash area.  It was closed earlier in the week which made me so sad, so when I got this news I knew she had to at least check it out.  Our entire day was spent at the wrong park (and then at the resort) so what was a bit more change, right?  I know, growth.  :)

She loved it (as did Emmersyn)... but seriously, how could she not?  It was like 3 separate splash areas AND a playground in one.  So great!





Kyle ended up staying back with Hartley for a little while, while I took Emmersyn to the room.  It was getting late and we still needed to work in another 30 minute treatment before leaving for the Christmas party. I don't think she minded leaving since she was freezing, and it was made even easier by the fact that she could do her breathing treatment while watching, literally, a dozen animals hang out outside her window.  Certainly beats the shower curtain she usually looks at here!


As soon as she was done, we got ready as quickly as we could since it was hours later than we planned, and the evening's Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party was about to begin!

The reason we had planned our trip in December was almost entirely for Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party.  It combines all of my favorite things, and I hadn't been since 2007.  Zach hadn't been since 2005, and when Emmersyn and Hartley went (also in '07) they hadn't even developed the sense of hearing yet in utero, so I'm not sure they got much out of it.

We were so excited to be back, even if our girls' schedule prevented us from really getting "much" out of it this year either.  The excitement just built steadily as we arrived, especially for the girls who even got bracelets upon admission (even though we hadn't had to pay for them)!  Coolest part of the night they could ever imagine, and it cost somebody (and not us) a couple of cents.  Ha!







Inside the park, we got a few photopass pictures in an effort to get some good Christmas card pictures in outfits I had tracked down all over the city.  It wouldn't happen, which is weird.  I hardly bothered with our camera since theirs had tripods, etc but wow - all of them (you'll see on photopass!) looked like they were using old point and shoots without any training instead of being quasi-professional photographers.  Oh, well.  I'm happy with our Christmas card, and the outfits weren't too expensive.  Besides, Hartley adored her Christmas clothes ("like Minnie's!").

We stayed on Main Street USA for a while, until the castle lights show was over.  Ahh, just as magical as I had remembered.  Seriously, it's breathtaking.  The castle lights (new in 2007) were THE reason I took a solo trip while pregnant with twins.  They were worth it then, and haven't lost any of their beauty!


Instead of the dinner we had planned, we ate at Pecos Bills along with the rest of the world.  It worked out alright though, because as soon as we got out people were already lining up for the first parade.  Holy cow.  We still somehow ended up with the best. spot. ever (and we LOVE the spot that has been "ours" for several years... but if a parade starts in Fronteirland again I think it just got beat!).   Thankfully the girls were content to dance and sing with the (loud, wonderful) Christmas music, and the hot chocolate and cookies and apple slices were to die for as always.  You may recall that when I was pregnant I ate about 10 bags of apple slices at the party, and not a single cookie, because of my weird sweets aversion.  You'll be happy to know I've regained my senses. :)

As much as I love the Once Upon a Christmastime Parade (a ton), and as much as the girls love any parade (a ton), I never could have anticipated how enamored they would be with this one, on this night.  I wish I could relive it over and over again!



After the parade was over, we headed to Adventureland to get some more treats (still free!), and just walked around soaking up the atmosphere.  I have to mention, by the way, that Disney World is kind of cool.  (hehe).  In each land, the Christmas music changed to match the theme - country music in Fronteirland, steel drums in Adventureland, etc.  A brilliant touch!

The only other thing we anticipated doing (since we knew the girls wouldn't stay awake for any shows if we went to the first parade, but had to go to the first parade since the second was at 10:30 - and we have toddlers ;)) was the dance party with Bullseye, Jessie, and Woody.  It was adorable (complete with Bullseye dancing to "Single Ladies" - hilarious - and Emmersyn joining me for the electric slide), but the girls were too tired to last long.  That's a bummer too, because it would have been perfect for drowning out fireworks!


Instead, while I watched Holiday Wishes (a must do for me, and the one fireworks display I wish we'd have had the girls sit through instead of Illuminations, because I think it's less traumatizing ;)), Zach and the girls walked through some shops.  As long as they aren't forced to acknowledge the fireworks, Emmersyn and Hartley both do okay.

Overall, as we were leaving with the masses (seriously - if your kids are not toddlers, do as we always did pre-kids -- second parade and stay to the end.  You'll be amazed at the difference when all the parents and little ones leave at the same time!), we knew it was a very successful night.

At about 10:30, we were at the van, ready to return to the hotel.  Emmersyn was out cold before we even reached the monorail at the Magic Kingdom, but Hartley stayed awake, once again entertaining the crowds.  "Hey, we didn't see the Mickey restaurant in the hotel!" (because we took a different monorail line that went the opposite direction).  (Seriously, how does she know this stuff?!)

Once we were driving, she fell asleep quickly - and for what might be the first time in our entire lives together, both girls stayed asleep as we transferred them to their beds.  Score!

It was all just as wonderful as I had hoped it would be, and it was finally "Christmastime".















No comments:

Post a Comment